Saturday, April 05, 2014

Samsung Chromebook slow to connect to wifi after bootup

I ran into an annoying issue with my Samsung Chromebook. The problem was that when I boot the machine from off (not just resume from standby), the wifi would take a longish time to connect to my wifi router, maybe about 30 seconds. This seemed to start after I began using my new router, a TP-Link TL-WR841N. The problem only affects my Chromebook, so I don't think it's the router's fault.

Eventually, I found this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/QhEsxhYXCKo via Google that hints at the solution. In this thread, one of the posters says that a router that supports 2.4 and 5 GHz may cause some delay because the Chomebook might connect to 2.4GHz first, and then reconnect at 5GHz.

My router was configured to support 802.11bgn, and 802.11n uses both 2.4 and 5GHz. I changed the router to use 802.11bg instead, and the Chromebook connect delay went away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I'll have to try that.